Texture Animation On Particles

Hi there guys!

I’m taking my baby steps in Notch and I have a problem I’m sure is easy to solve but I just can’t figure it out…

I have this video that I want to serve as the particle texture in a particle simulation. However, I’d like each particle to start playing the video from the start as they’re being created. Right now they’re all following the same timing.

I expected the “use texture animation” property “Texture Start Frame Mode: Frame 0” to do just that but it doesn’t seem to work. What am I missing?

Cheers,
Gustaf

1 Like

Seems like the screengrab link is broken but here ya go

Hey There,

This can’t be done with a video, because for videos to be accessed by each particle it would need to be decoded for every particle individually, much slower than real time.

If you convert the video to an image tile sheet, than it will work perfectly fine as expected. In the next release there will be a node for doing this within notch, but for now you would need to use another tool.

Thanks,

Ryan

Minor update :

Right click on the video in the resource window, and select (Video File) Options > Generate Image Strip. This will work too, but only for non hap encoded videos.

Thanks,

Ryan

1 Like